The Kazoo BambooHR integration allows you to keep your Kazoo users in sync with your BambooHR employee directory by creating, updating, and archiving users in a nightly automated process.
This integration uses BambooHR’s standard API. In order to access it on your behalf we’ll need an API Key. These keys can be generated on any self-service user account in your company’s BambooHR. Because they are tied to that user account, we strongly suggest that you create a special service account specifically for our integration to use. That way your integration will continue to function regardless of the employees who are coming and going within your company directory. However, before you create that you should start by creating an Access Level.
Creating a Access Level
Access Levels in BambooHR help you control who has access to what. The Kazoo platform only needs a small subset of your employee data, and we only ask the BambooHR API for those specific fields, but using an access level enables you to lock down the data on your end as well.
- While logged in to your company’s BambooHR account as an administrator, click the Settings Button
- Click Access Levels in the Settings menu.
- Click the “Lock Plus” icon and select the Custom Access Level option
- Name the new access level something descriptive, such as “Kazoo Integration” and enter a description if you wish, then click Next Step
- Leave everything unchecked in the “What Can People with this Access Level Do?” step and click “Next Step”
- Under “What Can People with this Access Level See?” ignore the “See About Themselves” and “See on Home” tabs, you will only need to use the “See About other Employees” tab.
- Under “This Access Level can access the information below for…” select “All employees” if you want all employees to be included in the integration, or select “Only Some Employees” if you want the integration to only include some employees*.
- Under “This Access Level can access…” select the “Personal” section
- Leave “All Fields are set to…” set to “No Access”
- Expand each subsection and click the “View Only” icon for the following fields: (a
*denotes a required field, the rest are optional)
- Basic Info
- Employee # *
- Status *
- First Name *
- Last Name *
- Preferred Name
- Birth Date
- Address (You can optionally select “View All” for the entire subsection)
- Address Line 1
- Address Line 2
- Zip Code
- Work Email *
- Home Email *
- Basic Info
- Under “This Access Level can access…” select the “Job” section
- As before, leave “All Fields are set to…” set to “No Access”
- Expand each subsection and click the “View Only” icon for the following fields: (these are all optional, if you don’t want to share any of them you can leave “Jobs” unchecked and skip this step)
- Hire Date (This is a top level field, not under a subsection)
- Employment Status
- Employment Status: Date (aka Termination Date)
- Job Information
- Job Title
- Reporting To
- Click Save and Finish to save the access level settings
* Setting up the filters for use with the “Only Some Employees” options is beyond the scope of this documentation. Please refer to your BambooHR documentation for further assistance. If you filter based on Employment Status make sure to include Terminated users if you want them to be archived in Kazoo during the import.
Creating a Service Account
Once the access level is created, make sure it is selected in the Levels menu.
- Click the Settings icon for the level and select “Add a Non-Employee BambooHR User”
- Enter a descriptive first and last name, such as “Kazoo Service”
- Enter an email address that you have access to. It will need to be one that isn’t already used by another user account in BambooHR
- Make sure your new access level is selected in the Access Level select list
- Click Save to complete the service account setup
An activation email will be sent to the email address you specified. You will need to activate the account, which will also create your password, before you can move on.
Generate an API Key
Once you are logged into BambooHR with the new service account:
- Click the Account button on the top-right, represented by your profile picture, or a circle with the initials of the service account name.
- Select the API Keys option
- Click the “Add a New Key” button
- A new key appears under Valid API Keys
- Click the “Show” text under the Key column to display the full API key
- Select and copy the key for the next step
Once you have completed the setup steps above, send the following information to your Kazoo Customer Success representative.
- new API Key
- your company’s BambooHR subdomain name
The Kazoo team will complete the setup on our end and the integration will begin to import your employee directory data on a nightly basis.